Removal of the third molars has become an essential part in order to prevent many dental problems and complications that might damage your other healthy teeth. Wisdom teeth are the third molars that erupt as the last teeth in our mouth. In most cases, these teeth are removed either as a preventive measure or when they cause problems. Wisdom teeth behaviour is unpredictable that they can cause problems at any time. So, as soon as you reach your adulthood, your dentist will start checking your wisdom teeth when you visit him for regular dental check-ups. An expert dentist can remove your wisdom teeth with comfort and ease. Wisdom teeth removal takes only around 45 minutes or less.
What happens during wisdom teeth removal?
During the initial consultation, your dentist will take x-rays and determine the position of wisdom teeth. If they appear problematic, he will suggest wisdom teeth removal. He will fix an appointment after discussing with you the treatment and anaesthesia options available. He will also help you understand the wisdom teeth removal procedure and necessity in your case.
On the day of wisdom teeth removal, the dentist will administer anaesthesia either IV sedation, general, or local, so that you feel comfortable throughout the procedure and don’t feel the pain. This is because the removal of impacted wisdom teeth is a surgical procedure. An impacted wisdom tooth requires some additional steps to treat the affected gums and bone.
What to expect during the impacted wisdom teeth removal procedure?
- The dentist will make an incision in your gum line and expose the infected bone and tooth.
- He will then remove the bone that blocks the access to the tooth root.
- Divide the wisdom tooth into sections for easy removal.
- He will then remove the wisdom tooth in sections and make sure no pieces are left.
- Clean the area and suture the wound.
- A piece of gauze will be placed over the extraction site to help clotting of blood.
Recovery tips after removal of wisdom teeth
Here are a few tips to follow after wisdom teeth removal. Make sure you follow these at least for the first three days after the procedure.
- Use an eye pack to minimise swelling.
- Drink a lot of fluids, but make sure you don’t use a straw.
- Eat soft foods. Don’t eat any sticky or hard foods.
- Rinse your mouth with salt water gently. Don’t be harsh.
- Brush your teeth gently on the second day but avoid brushing the area where wisdom teeth removal procedure is performed.
- Don’t smoke because smoking can slow down your healing process.
- Take the medications prescribed by the dentist to ease pain or swelling.
- Call your dentist if you get a fever, or the pain of swelling doesn’t get improved with time.
After the wisdom teeth removal, you will feel a little discomfort. However, it will last only 2 to 3 days. With this info, we believe you will be well prepared for the wisdom teeth removal procedure.
30% of Australians are going currently with no regular dental care due to cost. If wisdom teeth removal cost Sydney is what stops you from getting one, it is much affordable, and there are many payment plans to check it out with your dentist during the initial visit.