If you have recently received a dental implant restoration, congratulations! This proven smile-changer technique is durable and more than 95% of dental implants survive at least 10-15 years. But the long-term success of dental implants depends on how well they are maintained. With proper care and professional maintenance, your new teeth can last for life!
Dental implants are an ideal choice for replacing missing teeth because it offers stability, durability, and comfort – things that other tooth replacement procedures lack. You will not only get a prosthetic tooth but also tooth roots in the form of implanted titanium screws.
Gum disease can strike when the teeth and gums are not cleaned properly. If it is left untreated, it may lead to bone loss which weakens supporting structures and can lead to loss of dental implants as well as tooth loss. While the dental implants and the crowns covering the implants are not susceptible to decay, the gums and surrounding tissue must be kept healthy.
The dental implants cost is affordable, and it is a safe procedure. Once the dental implants heal and integrate with the jaw-bone, it is proven to have a very high success rate. However, regular maintenance will help ensure that your dental implants last a lifetime.
How to maintain the dental implants?
- Daily brushing and flossing is essential for long-term success. There are also other supplement products that allow you to clean the implants properly. However, your dentist will provide you with a home care routine according to your needs.
- Your oral surgeon will recommend a cordless electric toothbrush to brush your dental implants. Whether you use an electric toothbrush or standard brush, your dentist will review your brushing techniques to ensure that the implants are cleaned well or not.
- It is highly recommended to make use of oral irrigators for the reduction of plaque and inflammation around the dental implants Sydney and natural teeth. Apart from this your dentist will recommend using a special mouth rinse.
- Proper home care includes daily flossing too. Floss threaders will help you to reach dental implants under bridges so these areas can be cleaned easily. Also, use special types of floss recommended by your dentist.
- Even if dental implants are not a real tooth, it is still essential to visit your dentist regularly. Periodic dental visits are crucial for maintaining your dental implants. The cost of dental implants is reasonable, and it is necessary to visit your dentist for professional cleanings every 3-6 months.
- Since the dental implants Sydney look and function like natural teeth, you may forget about them in time. Habits, like clenching or grinding, chewing ice or hard foods, biting fingernails are not good for your dental implants as well as natural teeth. The prosthetic tooth attached to the titanium post can chip or get damaged. To avoid this, do not bite hard objects.