If you are worried about your missing teeth and the first thing that comes to your mind is dental implants, we say that’s a great instinct! The dental industry has provided us with various tooth replacement options such as bridges and dentures, but dental implants have emerged to be the best choice for replacement of missing tooth! It is estimated that the demand for dental implants is expected to rise by 7.8% until 2020. Thanks to its durability and longevity characteristics, dental implants have become a favoured form of tooth restoration solution.
Dental Implant Procedure:
Dental implants are perfect as they fit perfectly in your mouth and function just as your natural teeth. The dental implant procedure is carried out by oral surgeons in two different phases, and they are explained as under:
- In this initial step, your mouth will be totally numbed by administering a local anaesthesia, before placing the dental implant.
- To expose the bone underneath where the implant will be placed, an incision will be made in your gums.
- A space will be created in the bone for placing the implant with the help of a specialised drill.
- Now the implant is placed with the help of a hand tool or the specialised drill that was used in the previous step.
- After the implant is fitted perfectly, another component will be placed onto the implant, which will stay put throughout the healing period.
- The gums are now closed with a stitch or two and dental implants will be fused to the bone over time.
- On your next appointment, few impressions of your smile will be taken after the implants have healed completely. This is when your surgeon decides to place the crown over the implants in place.
- In the end, the artificial tooth is placed in your mouth. This step doesn’t require any surgery and can easily fit on your implant that is already fused to your jawbone.
Dental Implant Recovery:
Once the dental implant procedure is done with, you have to take care of recovery. Taking extra care during the recovery period is as important as the procedure. Here are some important recovery tips to follow in making the treatment successful:
- Take enough rest
- Control pain with prescribed medications
- Do not proceed with brushing & flossing right away. Maintain oral hygiene by rinsing with salt water
- Brush gently when you are ready
Do not have hard, chewy foods during recovery. Here are some recommended foods:
- Peanut Butter
- Cooked veggies